Brief SummaryAn alternative to staples for scalp lacerations over hair-bearing areas. This technique provides a more cost-effective, faster, and less painful approach to scalp laceration repair.
- Imagine the scalp hairs as suture ties already embedded in the skin.
- Twist together 3-7 strands of hair on either side of the wound.
- Interlock these two hair bundles in a 360-degree revolution, there is no need to tie a knot.
- Secure the intertwined hair bundles by applying a few drops of a tissue adhesive.
- May not require anesthetic administration
- No need for return visit for staple removal
This technique can be used even in patients without long hair. Simply use a pair of Kelly clamps to lock the hair on either end, twist and apply dermal adhesive.